Monday, September 29, 2014

Silent Understanding



I am the queen of remembering people.
In fact, I'm a Super Recognizer, which is someone with an amazing ability to recognize faces.
I learned a long time ago that not everyone has this ability. I use to recognize someone and I'd say, "Hey! Remember like 4 years ago you were in Nauvoo on family vacation, and your family went to the Fudge Factory?! I was working that day!" Or "Remember that class of 175 students you were in last semester, you sat in the 3rd row and had a purple checkered book-bag? I was in that class too!" People don't remember stuff like that, and to have someone basically say "I was watching you!!!!" is unsettling for them.
I've learned to not say anything to someone I recognize until they say something to me. If I'm with a group of friends I'll say, "See that guy in the green shirt? He was in the Allyn House last year and bought a bookmark!"
I was working on Saturday and a man walked into the store who I knew I had seen before.  My mind started making connections, placing his face into different scenarios in my head trying to figure out where I'd seen him before. Then it hit me; I'd seen and read his online dating profile. What's more, he had emailed me a couple of times.
It's been a good three months since the last email, but I felt really weird. I kept trying to hide my face so that on the off chance he DID recognize me, we didn't have to have that awkward, "Hey!" conversation.
As far as I know he never made the connection. After about twenty minutes of wandering around the store with his friends, he left without buying anything. For which I was actually grateful, because then I didn't have to 1 on 1 interact with him.
I'm surprised I haven't seen more people wondering around Nauvoo from online. It's an LDS dating site, and Nauvoo is a LDS tourist destination.
I hope that if I see someone whose profile I've seen and they reocginze me too, we'd just do that casual head-nod/smile that says, "Yeah...I know you're a .com dater, and you know I'm a .com dater, but we don't have to talk about it!"

3 comments:

  1. That would be awkward! When I had my blog I had a random lady see me working the conserving stand at pageant. She was all excited that she knew me from my blog.....blah blah blah
    No I guess that really isn't the same thing is it...sorry.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I havent read this entire post yet, but I saw a girl at church yesterday that I've seen on ldlsldsldlsldlsignals for a long time. Just for a split second, but I knew it was her. I wonder if she did likewise. Anyway, Im not sure if this is what this post is about but I like to think that it is...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your blog. U are so cute! Have a great night.

    ReplyDelete