Monday, June 23, 2014

Here's my number. So text me, maybe!


This one is going to be long, so brace yourself. Hopefully it'll be worth the read!


There comes a point in every online "relationship" that you quit using the site provided email and start texting. I'm all for texting! It takes about a week to have an email conversation that would take about a hour of text time.

I'll be honest, one of the main reasons I joined an online dating site was to get a new "text friend". In college I had an AWESOME "text friend"! If I couldn't sleep we'd text until I fell asleep, or vice versa. Our texts always had a flirty undertone, which was fun because what female doesn't enjoy flirt attention from a guy?! But more than flirting, I knew he was always a text away, and it was a sort of comfort. After college our "textship" fizzled to where I didn't really need/want him anymore. But like any addict, I have since started to want another text friend. I recently met up with an old guy friend and we started texing, but he was a disappoint of a texter (as in, he actually slept at night!). So now I'm online, looking for someone to text!

It's kind of funny, the "So...you wanna text?" email that eventually comes. I am all for it, but if you ask me for my number in the first message I'm a little leery. (Cause somehow I think I can determine if you're a creep after you've emailed me a couple time....go figure).

The other day a guy (we'll call him R2) sent me an email. We emailed a couple of times, leading him to ask if we could text. His profile was...different. The impression I got from it was that he might be a little...how do I say this diplomatically....slow. Haha! But Jessie seemed to think I was pre-judging him, so I went ahead and gave him my number, thinking that if he got TOO weird I could always just block his number.
Even though I'm so willing to hand out my number, I always get paranoid (check this old blog out as an example) and make up unrealistic scenarios in my head.
So he starts texting me during a "severe storm" which meant my cell phone reception was a little off. He asked if I was able to send/receive picture messages (which is a nice thing to ask, because some people get charged for that). I confirmed that I can send/receive picture messages, and then I stared panicking. Here is the first thought that went through my head:
"Oh no!What if he is going to send me a naked picture!"

So my phone dings, and there is a picture available to download, and because of the sub-par "storm" reception, it took a LONG time to download. The whole time I'm thinking, "Please don't be naked! Please don't be naked! Please don't be naked!" So after a couple of minutes he messages me again, "Did you get my picture, hun?" My thought: "SERIOUSLY??!?! You are calling me HUN! Isn't it a little EARLY for the cutsie names, R2??! I haven't even seen your naked picture yet!"
So eventually the picture comes though, and he WASN'T naked (phew), he was sitting on bleachers somewhere. So I asked him where he was that he was sitting on bleachers. He said the picture was at his little brother's basketball game, prompting me to ask if it was an old picture, or if school was still in session.
Then he took about two hours to reply. And how does he answer my very simple question? He says "What?"
For real dude?! Two hours for a, "What?"???!?!?!?!
It has only taken about two hours and 5 seconds for me to determine this guy is NOT my new "text friend", but it doesn't hurt to keep it up. So I said, "What? What? Is school still in session?" To which he replied (like 45 mins later) "Nope :("

We exchanged a few more texts (that took 5 hours longer than it needed to) in which he learned what I like to do for fun. And I learned that R2 likes to, "travel, swim, play & watch sports, work out, watch movies, cuddle, kiss, & relax" for fun.

So I guess it's back to the man catalog for me! This guy was a dud!

1 comment:

  1. You're adorable and I love reading your posts. You speak from my heart. Haha :)

    ReplyDelete